Delgar's Domain

Thursday, April 07, 2005

Almost Friday

For some reason I'm really looking forward to the weekend. I'm not exactly sure why, but I am. I had meant to post something yesterday but work was just far to hectic.

The really cool thing that happened is that my wife got accepted into a writing workshop. Which was very cool, she was expecting to get rejected because they only pick 20 people a year for it. It's great for her because she is trying to become a writer. Right now her stuff is good, it's just a matter of finding someone to publish it and this workshop will help out with that. The bad thing is that it's six weeks long, and it's ten hours away from home. :( What adventures will me and the dog get into while she's away? What will I do for six weeks? We've honestly never been apart for more than a day or two since we got together, this will be rather strange for us. Also, we'll have to come up with some way to pay for it, this will be the hard part. But I figure we'll just go into a little more debt, I mean why not? But six weeks? Man, that's going to be a very long six weeks. I'll have to keep myself motivated and working out, but I know for sure I'm going to eat all the unhealthy stuff that she hates while she's gone. Man, six weeks. Plus, I'll have to go home at lunch time to take the dog for a walk, and our poor dog won't know what the hell is going on.

But, truthfully I'm really proud of her. She only started writing last year and she's made so much progress in such a little time. I honestly believe it's only a matter of time until she's published, her work is really good. She doesn't believe me of course because I'm her husband and not therefore not objective. Now all she needs is to get a few things published and build up her portfolio, so that she can work her way out of the HUGE slush pile and work her way into just the LARGE one. She's published a few articles, but now what she really needs is to get one of her short stories published. One of the coolest things that has happened so far was that she actually got rejected by the editor of one of the top magazines. Which is quite a feat in itself. The rejection letter wasn't a form letter and it wasn't from the slush pile guy. Actually, even the letters she recieves from the slush pile guy aren't form letters anymore. But, usually this magazine recieves somewhere around 500-1000 stories a month and only about 10 make it out of the slush pile. So, I see that as a pretty big achievement.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this weekend, we have no plans as of yet. So it might actually just be a nice relaxing weekend at home (except for Sunday because we have to go to the gym).

It's actually supposed to rain again today and possibly keep raining through Saturday. I guess that just means that there will be more flooding. It won't really affect us because we're no where near a river. So, we can sit at home and enjoy the rain.

Wow, what a boring post eh? I wonder what I can do to spice it up a little.

5 Comments:

  • Wow, I'm envious of her. I would love to become a writer one day but I know I am just not that good at it. When she does get published, if you don't post it here, please let me know so I can read!

    By Blogger Kalleigh Hathaway, at 10:48 AM  

  • Hey Kayten,

    Long time no see! I'll let you know if she gets published. Being a writer is only 1 part talent and 1000 parts hard work. Even someone without talent can become a writer if they work hard at it.

    By Blogger Delgar, at 10:52 AM  

  • That is so awesome!! I understand the 'not being apart for more than a day' thing. will you be able to 'meet in the middle' on the weekends? :) This could be a great chance to pick up a new activity, or get into a show, or just do something neat for yourself!! Wow. Congrats to her. *nod*

    I was watching letterman last night, and he was talking about viox, and the COX2thingee.. and I said "OO!! *point* I just.." and then, I realized I was the only one in the room. But, I thought of you!

    By Blogger Becks, at 9:10 AM  

  • Well we only have 1 vehicle so meeting half way in between will not be possible. Plus the workshop is actually a 7 days a week kind of thing.

    It's supposed to be very grueling and hardcore, but on the plus side each week you get instructed by famous authors in the genre which is WAY cool.

    By Blogger Delgar, at 9:57 AM  

  • "Even someone without talent can become a writer if they work hard at it." You really think that's true? I always thought it was an art like painting or sculpture or singing. You either have talent or you don't and any amount of hard work can't create it where it doesn't exist. Just like you have an eye for form, light, color and movement, you have a knowledge of word selection, direction, building a plot or character and revealing only specific details at specific times. I always thought that if you don't have talent and write just using hard work, it won't be as fun to read.

    By Blogger Kalleigh Hathaway, at 1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home